06 Sep Breakfast burrito
Today I would like to introduce you to a Mexican-influenced, savory breakfast I got inspired to create while on vacation in the USA. So far I have eaten the best Mexican food in California and likewise the avocados, which are served with many dishes as toppings or add-ons, were always perfectly ripe.
Actually, I am definitely on team «sweet and fruity» when it comes to the first meal in the morning. On vacation or on rainy weekends, however, sleeping in late is sometimes really good and when I at noon finally sneak into the kitchen hungry and still in my pyjamas to soothe my rumbling stomach, I often decide to prepare these breakfast burritos. They are super quick to prepare, are wonderfully filling and make a good brunch or a snack at any time of the day.
Let me know how much you like the recipe and don’t forget to link me to your Instagram with @karinefurrer so that I can see your creations and repost them too.
Ingredients (for two burritos):
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- salt, pepper and other spices to taste
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites and season to taste. I use salt, pepper and often a little garlic powder and some chili flakes.
- Heat up ½ tbsp rapeseed oil in a frying pan and fry half of the egg mixture over medium heat until it becomes an omelet.
- As soon as the egg mixture has set place a wholemeal tortilla on top and flip it together with the omelet onto a plate. Prepare the second omelet in the same way.
- Mash the avocado coarsely with a fork and season to taste. I use a spice mixture for guacamole. If you like, you can also add a small, finely diced onion.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into small pieces.
- Spread the avocado mixture and the cherry tomatoes over the omelets. Then roll up the burrito.